This was my very first 'veganized recipe' that helped the family realize that being vegan and gluten free was not going to be hard! I created this vegan tofu scramble from our former favorite high cholesterol, high fat Tex-Mex chile releno casserole. I much prefer this cholesterol free Vegan version!
• 1 pkg. non-GMO hard Tofu, crumbled
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 1 can RoTel tomatoes, drained
• 1 small can Diced Green Chilies, drained (or chipolte, jalapeno, habanero, etc. for more heat, if desired)
• 12-14 oz. vegan Breakfast 'sausage', crumbled* (I like El Burrito brand Soy Breakfast sausage that is gluten free)
• 1/2 pkg. Daiya shredded cheddar 'cheese'
• 1/2 pkg. Daiya shredded Pepper Jack 'cheese'
• 2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
• Serve with Salsa!
Step 1: In skillet, scramble together the tofu, onion, RoTel tomatoes, Green Chilies, sausage, and yeast, simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid has mostly been absorbed.
Step 2:Add cheese and mix together, allow to cook another 10 mins, and serve with some gluten free toast (use vegan 'butter' such as Earth Balance) and fresh fruit! Make extra, leftovers keep well in the 'fridge all week, just microwave.
I consider this mild-medium hot, depending on the spices in the ‘sausage’ and cheeses.
Variation: Possibilities are endless with tofu scramble. Try adding chopped bell pepper, thinly sliced carrots or zucchini, and other veggies as you desire.
Yields: 4 generous servings
*vegan Breakfast 'sausage' can be made by combining your favorite veggie burger ingredients, (lentils, black beans, chopped veggies, spices, and/or tofu) and add red pepper flakes, onion, and sage to taste.
Protein rich, spicy, so delicious, does it get any better than this? ~