This Broccoli and Mac Cheezy Bake tastes so amazing that you would never guess it is very simple to make! The Cashew cheeze sauce is made from my dry mix I keep in the fridge ready to constitute at any time, and is so delish!
If you don't have the Cashew Cheeze Dry mix in your refrigerator, you need to make your cheeze sauce mix:
Cheeze Sauce Ingredients *
1 cup raw cashews
½ cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp paprika
Place cashews and oats in food processor and chop until finely ground. Scrape sides & then add nutritional yeast, arrowroot, garlic and onion powder, salt, & paprika, process about a minute to thoroughly combine. Set aside 1 cup of mix for this recipe, and store remainder in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Great for nachos, or added dry to tofu scramble and other dishes you want creamy and cheesy!
Now we are ready to make the Cheezy Broccoli Mac!
- 1 cup of dry cheeze sauce mix (above)
- 2 cups of plant milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp, etc)
- 8 oz. pkg gluten free pasta
- 2 slices of gluten free bread, made into crumbs from frozen or toasted (I keep gluten free bread in the freezer since I hardly ever use it, but if you don't, just toast it) then put in food processor or blender to make crumbs
- 1 large head of organic broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Follow directions for cooking pasta & drain.
3. Steam broccoli until beginning to soften but not until it loses it's color, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Pour milk into medium saucepan over medium heat and add 1 cup dry cheeze mix.
5. Heat cheeze sauce mixture, whisking often, for 7-10 minutes or until thickened.
6. Spray cooking spray into a 2 qt. casserole dish.
7. Add pasta to casserole dish and toss with salt and pepper to evenly distribute.
8. Add broccoli, then pour cheese sauce over all and combine well.
9. Top with bread crumbs. Optional: dot with vegan butter.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
* Use all organic ingredients for your best health if possible!