This is a great "make ahead" dish
Wild Rice Salad with Cashews
adapted from a recipe by Patricia Cornwell
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 organic red or green pepper, chopped
¾ cup cashews
2 green onions, sliced
3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar or organic apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil (*or water)
1 Tbsp sesame oil (*or 2 Tbsp tahini)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash freshly ground pepper
1. Rinse wild rice in a strainer and drain well.
2. In 3-4 Qt. saucepan, bring vegetable broth and rice to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain any excess liquid from rice (*into skillet,) or discard, and set rice aside.
4. Over medium-high heat, sauté peppers 3-5 minutes or until tender in 2 Tbsp. olive oil (*or the leftover water from rice)
5.Add cashews and green onions, cook for 2-3 minutes, or until nuts begin to brown. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, stir wild rice with bell pepper mixture.
6. For dressing, combine vinegar, oils (*or water & tahini), garlic, salt, and pepper in a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake well Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, and serve chilled. For those who simply are not accustomed to rice salads, after salad has been chilling for several hours to meld the flavors, the mixture could be reheated and served warm like a risotto and is delightful this way too!
We doubled the recipe and serving it as a main dish, I feel a double recipe serves 6. It is even better leftover! =)
(*) oil free directions