I admit it, I make mistakes. A lot of them, actually, and lately they seem to all be in the kitchen. Maybe that is because that is where I spend a good deal of my time? I have pulled some good ones, usually related to NOT being in the kitchen when something was cooking, and you guessed it, it burned. I then hear my sweet mother-in-law's voice of wisdom in my head, "You can't cook if you aren't in the kitchen!" Oh, and there are the many times I have tried to grab something out of the microwave, with my bare hand, and got reminded that it gets hot in there, oh yeah! *slaps forehead* Tonight I had a new experience, because my microwave is broken, I had to find another way to warm some soy milk . Here is how you find out the measuring cup you have used for years and years is not made by Pyrex, when placing it directly on a burner :
Now I know what you may be thinking, "Is she a little dense?" One too many bumps on the head, perhaps? No, that is not the case, but I am
sometimes often distracted, and it leads to trouble. Or in this case, doing something a 'new' way. I was being lazy and didn't want to get out another pan and boil water and put the measuring cup in it. This is what I get for being lazy. Fortunately I learn well from mistakes (usually) and rather than cry over spilled milk, the absence of my favorite kitchen item (my red measuring cup) will always remind me not to try to cut corners, and do things the safe way. Fortunately the cup broke soon after the heat was turned on, (cold milk + glass + heat = DUH) so it wasn't hot when it suddenly burst forth from the bottom, and right onto my fur baby below (where she always waits to see what may fall for her to snack on).
So all of this resulted from trying to cut corners: a big mess to clean on the stovetop and counter, broken glass to pick up,a kitchen rug to wash, and a dog to bathe (soy milk is good for the skin, anyway!) all because I didn't want to take the extra time to heat the milk double-boiler like with another pan. *sigh* It's kind of like the first, and hopefully only, time you were in a hurry to get somewhere and exceed the speed limit; only to be stopped and detained much longer getting a speeding ticket. Live and learn. I hope you learn something from my mishap, especially if you have a fur baby helping you in the kitchen, remember, safety first.
It's ok, you can laugh now. Since my dog wasn't harmed, I did =)