Search This Blog

Archives

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lentil Soup

It's easy. It's fast. It's nutritious. It is delicious! What more could we possibly want? I  have to admit, before going vegan, I didn't like soup. I was sort of like the kid who says they don't like something based on having tasted it one time and had a bad experience. My experience with soup was limited to what came in a can, not too exciting, and definitely very nutritious. Then the day came when I made the conscious choice to eat no meat, dairy, or eggs. I knew I had to learn to "do this right" or suffer all sorts of problems from improper nutrition. So I researched a LOT. With my new resolve, I was more open-minded about trying new foods. I could not believe how many wonderful, beautiful foods there are out there that I have never tried! I once thought of Kale as something ornamental you plant in your flower border in the winter for interest. Now it is my must have staple! I had also never tasted lentils before going vegan, but now they are always in my pantry, and can be depended on for a super easy, super nutritious meal in 30 minutes for pennies a serving. That's the same length of time it would take to drive to McDonald's, and  for a few dollars, order cow pus covered, death on a bun with a side of heart attack and cancer, and an acid drink to wash it down, and a thousand percent healthier. So open the fridge and the pantry, and throw some highly nutritious veggies and lentils together for a symphony of delights to the senses that will do your body, and your pocketbook, good.
Soup, I am learning, is the "make it up as you go and it's always right" food. Really. You can't mess it up, if you like what you put in it, that is~


10 ounce bag dried lentils
3 carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
1 16 oz stewed tomatoes
1 onion, quartered and sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic, diced
2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
8 quarts  water or vegetable broth, divided
2 bayleaf
2 Tbsp basil
2 Tbsp marjoram
2 tsp pepper

Spray your stock pot or Dutch Oven with non-stick spray, add about 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth and heat on medium high. Add onion and garlic, saute' until onions are translucent. Add celery, carrots, and the spices and cook about 8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think!
~ Shelley